Monday, June 4, 2012

God Bless America : A Review

Society is crumbling. You look at any given channel and chances are it looks a little less like reality and a little more like Sodom and Gomorrah. This cannot stand. I sit every day and listen to people talk about how "Dance Moms" is the greatest television show known to mankind. And you know, maybe I shouldn't be so judgmental. One person's trash is another man's treasure. Problem is, this trash is piling up to Wall-E size proportions. In any given day, you can be crowded with people watching terrible crap on TV, or people saying horrible things. We sit and insult each other and people love it. They eat it up. I'm guilty of looking at my cell phone; I have a disconnect in that sense, sure. But at the same time, I'm fully aware, y'know. I'm trying to change. The problem is America won't change. We've all gotten a little stupider as we move along. We overeat and we yell. We pollute and drive gas-guzzling automobiles and then blame it on the President. Are we so unaware? Yes, we are. The hardest part of realizing your faults is having them pointed out. They become incredulous and angry. But it's so true. It's reaching a fever pitch and I think it's marked by two cinematic occasions.

First, Mike Judge made "Idiocracy," which for all intents and purposes was largely ignored by the general movie going public. Actually, it was buried by 20th Century Fox (who ironically buried his first film, Office Space). It underwent many name changes and finally and quietly was released on DVD in 2007. It was ironic and very self-aware of society and the track we're on in our lives today. It was like a fun house mirror version of America and it rang so true. It became a cult classic as is the case with all miss-marketed films.

Secondly, following in the footsteps of Judge's film, is "God Bless America." I first became aware of the film sometime last year and when I heard the synopsis I fell in love. Basically, it's the story of Frank, played with brutal honesty by Joel Murray, who lives in a crappy apartment next to an annoying white-trash couple with a screaming baby. He's up all hours of the night and he's falling victim to crushing migraines. He works at a terrible job and doesn't get any respect from his ex-wife and annoying daughter. And he finds out he has an inoperable brain tumor. He's pining for the fjords. After he decides that eating his gun is the only exit strategy, he stops when he sees a preening brat crying about getting the wrong car for her birthday. That's it. He will stand no more. He takes his gun and hits the road soon gaining a sociopathic protege to join in the violent spree. It's worth it just to see the shooting setpiece in the theatre set to "It's Oh-So Quiet" by Bjork.

When I first heard about Bobcat Goldthwait being a filmmaker, sure I was dismissive. Until I saw this film. Wow, was I stunned. I felt horrible for be dismissive of his clear talents. I saw him as the slobbering clod from "Police Academy 2." I saw him as 'Mr. Floppy' from "Unhappily Ever After." But, there was a clear, funny voice here. He has a talent for seeing the drama and searing pain that comes with black comedy. I want to revisit "World's Greatest Dad," a satire of how we try to find hidden meanings behind the most meaningless of deaths. He's an odd actor, a veritable live action Tasmanian Devil. But as a director, he's restrained and poignant. I feel dickish for being so dismissive.

But, "God Bless America," is in limited release and won't reach the people it so desperately needs to reach, the people that the film is written about.That's a damn shame, honestly.

A subnote: There were three women yakking it up sitting in front of me during the feature film. they gabbed and gabbed and checked their phones. Until the aforementioned theatre shooting. Then, they shut up. Another guy left. Maybe it's getting through to somebody.....

No comments:

Post a Comment